Everyone knows refinishing is the final stage and it’s what everyone waits for. The finish work needs to be top quality. The only way to get top quality finish work is to prepare the vehicle with absolute precision. If this process is not perfect it won’t matter how effective the paint work is. Finish starts with prep work.
Prep work involves identifying chips, scratches, minor or major dents which all need to be corrected before the vehicle can go to sanding. This is all before primer or sealer is applied.
There is also the process of identifying areas which may need the following:
- Seam sealer
– This is used to smooth out areas between panels
- Chip guard
– This is a pebble finish. It is used on rocker panels, bottom edge of a fender and/or quarter panels
- Anti-corrosive primers
– Primers are used in areas that need to be welded or repaired. This is done so no rust will come through
– This product is for high end metals such as aluminum and high strength steels prior to priming
Finally, after all or some of the above processes are completed the vehicle goes to sanding, is sealed and prepped for paint.
Next is the paint
- We can paint match with a code provided on the vehicle
- We can use a camera for a high quality match on difficult colors
– In the “old days” we had to mix by hand and match by eye
- Paint chips are also available for color match
– All colors have several variables which all need to be identified
- On to the mixing room where we have a state-of-the-art computer system
To the Spraybooth
- Vehicle is taped, masked and bagged
- We spray waterborne paint which has very low solvent
– ACC also has fresh air systems for each painter – this is an added layer of protection
- Our staff double checks for imperfections
- Vehicle goes to the clear coat
- Next step is to bake the vehicle
– Once cured all tape, masking and bagging is removed
- Recheck for anything less than perfect
- Passed onto the reassembly team
Allston Collision Center
Everyone knows refinishing is the final stage and it’s what everyone waits for. The finish work needs to be top quality. The only way to get top quality finish work is to prepare the vehicle with absolute precision. If this process is not perfect it won’t matter how effective the paint work is. Finish starts [...]
420 Cambridge Street
Allston Collision Center is a family owned & operated Boston auto body shop, providing both automobile repair and auto collision repair services to the Greater Boston area. Allston Collision Center’s team offers 50+ years of combined experience in auto body repair and insurance negotiating, and they do some of the best auto body work in Boston.